The Governors at Amesbury VC CE Primary School
School Values: Kindness, Dignity, Endurance
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart.
We are a committed Governing Body made up of a team of individuals representing the local community, Wiltshire Authority and Church, alongside parents and staff. The governors have a diverse range of backgrounds and skills, and work in partnership with the school leadership team to drive continuous improvement in the performance of the school, and to ensure every child at Amesbury Primary School has the best possible educational experience.
Everything we do is inspired by our school’s three core Christian values of dignity, endurance and kindness. Amesbury Primary School is ambitious for all its pupils; we share and support the headteacher’s vision of raised aspirations at the school.
Ultimately, the Governing Body aims to provide the right balance of support and effective challenge, both for the school and the Headteacher. To do this, we use key strategic documents including the School Improvement and Development Plans.
The governing body has clearly defined roles and responsibilities which include:
- Ensuring that Safeguarding and all school policies and procedures are fit for purpose and appropriately applied
- Ensuring we provide our pupils with a well planned, progressive curriculum that motivates and inspires.
- Providing evidence to school inspectors of our strategic role and impact on performance in school.
- Understanding the strengths and weaknesses of the school, and carrying out evaluation to improve the quality and impact of our governance
- Looking at how well groups of pupils are performing and ensuring action is taken by school leadership if there are any concerns
- Ensuring the best possible outcomes for our vulnerable and disadvantaged pupils
- Maintaining close links with the church so that the Christian ethos of the school is preserved
- Monitoring the school Budget
- Ensuring that the school meets its legal responsibilities
- Making decisions about the school building and premises
- Making decisions about the staffing structure, and supporting positive staff well being; this includes ensuring all staff are regularly appraised and their continuous professional development is appropriately supported
- Overseeing the Sports Premium, making sure these funds for the development of PE and sport are well spent
We have 6 Full Governing Body (FGB) meetings each year. The Headteacher provides a detailed report at these meetings, and governors look at data and independent reports. The FGB has separate committees for resources with specific responsibility for school finances and premises, and teaching & learning with a focus on the curriculum. Each committee is accountable to the full governing body and may, from time to time, co-opt individuals a with particular expertise.
Governors visit the school as often as possible; we particularly enjoy talking to the children about their school. However governors are not expected to make detailed decisions on the day to day running of the school. This responsibility is delegated to the Headteacher.
We hope this information has given you an insight into our work as Governors. We warmly invite you to visit our school to find out for yourselves about the strong and inclusive learning environment here at Amesbury VC CE Primary School.
Mr Ben Cook
Acting Chair of Governors