As a local authority school, admissions to Amesbury CE Primary School are managed by Wiltshire Council and a link to their website is available HERE. On the site you will find all the information you will require regarding the admissions process.
Our Admissions Policy follows that of the Wiltshire Local (Education) Authority. For Reception pupils, this means all children start school in the September following their 4th birthday.
Is your child 4 between 1 September 2021 and 31 August 2022? If so, they will start primary school next September (2022). You must apply for a primary school place by 15 January 2022.
The preferred method of application is online at - https://wiltshire.gov.uk/schools-learning-admissions-applying
If you are considering sending your child to Amesbury CE Primary School, we would welcome the opportunity to show you around our school and let you see for yourself what we have to offer. Please contact the school office to arrange a visit (01980 623009).
To request a booklet ‘Finding a primary school place in ‘Wiltshire’ or for a paper application form, please ring 01225 713010. All forms should be returned to Wiltshire Council, not the school.
We are happy to show prospective parents around the school before they make an application. Please contact the school office to make an appointment (01980 623009).
Mid-Year and Non Reception Admissions
If you would like to apply to transfer your child/ren to Amesbury Primary School, we recommend that you telephone the school on 01980 623009 to check whether places are available in the required year groups, and to make an appointment to visit the school and take a tour with the Headteacher. Wiltshire Council admission forms are available from the school office.
How Applications Are Considered
While every effort is made to make a place available for your child in our school, there is a limit on the number we can take. Each year-group has two classes with a maximum of 30 children each, a figure set by the LA and agreed with the Governors and Headteacher. If the number of children wanting a place is below this figure, all will be admitted. If there are too many children applying for that year group, the LA gives priority according to their own admissions criteria. This ‘over-subscription criteria’ is as follows (in descending order):
- ‘Vulnerable Children’ (which includes ‘Looked After Children’), children from families registered with the National Asylum Support Service, and children with a severe medical condition.
- In-area siblings (including step, half, and foster siblings) where an older sibling is on roll at Christ Church already and not in their final year at this school. They must also live within the designated area at the same address as the older sibling.
- Other in-area children – those children who live within the designated area but do not have siblings attending the school.
- Children who live outside the school’s designated area but have an older sibling at the school that resides at the same address.
- Any other child for whom none of the above criteria apply.
For more details, please consult Wiltshire Council’s Admission Arrangements:
- Determined Admission Arrangements for Community and Voluntary Controlled Primary Schools for 2020/21
Right to Appeal
If the LA is unable to offer your child a place at Amesbury after considering your case carefully, you have the right to appeal. Information on how to do so is given on the LA website or in the form below:
Transfer to Secondary School
At the end of year 6, children transfer to secondary school and unless parents make alternative arrangements for secondary education, children living in Amesbury and the surrounding area usually transfer to The Stonehenge School in Amesbury. Applications for a place at secondary school must be made through Wiltshire Council in the Autumn term of year 6. The deadline for secondary school admissions for September 2022 is by midnight on 31st October. You can apply online for a school place.
If you have any further questions about applying for a school place, or to arrange a tour of our school, please contact the school office on 01980 623009 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org